Wednesday 2 April 2008

French Toast

Sleepy sent me an article about the French being determined to save the semi-colon, and more power to them, it seems that only the Académie Française cares about language any more. Something else on the page caught my eye however, France has apparently been taken by storm by 'le scrapbooking'. Holy Carp I say. Why France, why? As far as I can tell, Britain hasn't succumbed, so why are you letting the side down?
Well, perhaps it's out of spite. I have been reading recently how the new Mrs. Sarko has been seducing the British. Well, good for her, perhaps there will be a bit of entente cordiale afoot.

In a gruesome mirroring of the feet that keep washing up on our coastal shorelines, Scottish police have been finding other body parts, a second hand has now been washed ashore. There's a pun in there somewhere, I know. They have a head in custody too, so their job may well be easier in the long run than that of the BC police, but I can't help thinking of mysterious porpoise deaths.
I'm not sure why.

My son and his family have recently bought a whole lamb. We discussed this, the lamb was ethically raised and slaughtered for them - sounds a bit Biblical so far - and within a couple of days of its demise, was on their table. I think there is a tremendous honesty to this, we go out and buy chunks of meat from the supermarket and often those animals have neither lived nor died in a particularly nice way. But I think I may have to work my way up through the fishes and birds first. Superstore have live seafood you can select and have dispatched for your table, and I can imagine, and have even eaten - in France - chickens that were killed in the same kitchen they were subsequently eaten in.

1 comment:

Karemay said...

Scrapbooking has arrived in the UK. My friend Maggie spends many a happy hour up to her eyes with paper and glue. it doesn't excite me in the least. I'm just scanning old photo's for future generations, much easier.