Friday 24 October 2008

Habits

Changing habits is difficult. I'm trying to remember to cough into the crook of my arm rather than my hand. The kids that come in for programmes already do it, but they don't have something to unlearn.

Using one of those portaloos - it's automatic to reach for the non existent chain. And then you get the hand sanitiser instead of water. Your hands are probably way cleaner but not washing in water just feels wrong.

Refusing to be addressed as 'guys', I get that it's a difficult habit for people to break, but it must be done, male is not the default gender, and not to challenge is to acquiesce.

One habit that I think I have broken is judging other women on looks and what they wear. Well, maybe the 'what they wear' just a little. And I still read 'Go Fug Yourself' every day, but then that only targets stars.

One habit that I'm pleased to hear has been broken, is the habit of large corporations not involving themselves in politics. Both Apple and Google are opposing the bill in California that seeks to chemically castrate any future attempt to allow gay marriage. Just to run that again, to withhold ordinary rights from some section of society based on an arbitrary prejudice. In California.

But there are habits I never want to break, I will always challenge misogyny and the dismissal of women, disgusting, putrid inhumanity towards individual sectors of society.

And yet, I feel that as I get older and more objective, less swayed by distracting irrelevancies, I am listened to less, because the ear will always turn to the line-free face or the male.
We all say we want to be the lady who wears the purple hat and does what she likes, but those ladies are not treated in general like the amazing, fabulous, creative people they are.

2 comments:

Kateryna said...

Coughing in our sleeve?

Arn't scientists wonderful :P When did they get smarter?

oh yeah now coughing in the hand really sounds silly. I guess those people who invented the hand sanitizer already knew that. Oh and god bless those stores who leave the cleansing wipes for the shopping carts.

Schneewittchen said...

Haha. And the wipes for the carts - so far I think I've only come across that in the States (although I always have some in my bag).