Sunday 12 October 2008

Thanksgiving

Today I am giving thanks that we have a day off tomorrow, (for Thanksgiving) since I seem to have picked up a watered down version of the lurgy that Kevin's been fighting all week.
I'm also giving thanks that Austen's friend from childhood, Stuart, is back from his second tour in Iraq.
And that Ben seems to be settled in Brighton.
And that Alex has a new flat in London to go to.
And that I don't work at a cranberry bagging plant.

On Friday, Jo and I had to go and bag cranberries at the Ocean Spray plant. It's fun for a couple of hours, but after that, meh, past our sell-by date. Yesterday I had to go in to work for the afternoon to sell the blighters. Last year - almost horizontal rain, this year - sunshine. Last year, miserable people stopping by to tell us they weren't going to buy our cranberries because they're selling them cheaper down the road. This year, people asking if they are Canadian cranberries.
'Yes,' we said, 'and they've been harvested by being flooded by the smelly, dirty Fraser river, so make sure you wash 'em.'

Afterwards, I felt feverish and my throat started feeling like it had been cut.

This morning I didn't feel too good either and decided that although I had a need to go and get my spiritual centre ...well, centred...it wasn't really fair to send my germs out to all the seniors that make up the larger part of the congregation, so I stayed home and planted my snowdrops instead.

4 comments:

Karemay said...

I hope you are feeling better, sounds very similar to the virus that I have been bugged with for the last few days.

Sleepy said...

You've got to try my Dad's cure for everything.
Hot lemonade!
Lemonade in a mug, 2 mins in the microwave and bob's your uncle!

Schneewittchen said...

Thanks Karen, hope you're on the mend too.

Sleepy - I'll give it a try, sounds cheap and easy...oh and palatable.

Kateryna said...

I hope you are feeling better real soon.

Happy Thanksgiving

~Kat