Wednesday 22 October 2008

Seesaw

I never remembered what it was.
October rolls along in a pumpkin coloured haze. Preparations for Hallowe'en take longer than preparations for Christmas. Not, I might say, at Schloss Schneewittchen, where the party line remains that Hallowe'en is for serious darkness and has nothing to do with children or sweeties.

The autumn TV schedules are shaping up as the nights draw in.
At least two evenings have shockingly good TV line-ups.

Sunday - Mad Men, True Blood, Dexter. The only way I could improve this would be to switch the last two. End with the sultry mysticism and sensuality of the Deep South.

Monday - Corner Gas, How I Met your Mother, Rent-a-Goalie. Order doesn't matter, Monday viewing has to be recorded. Oh, and Boston Legal, but I have to save that, Monday being Monday.

The website continues to be visited by disappointed searchers after the truth about baboons. I even considered...well, considering it. But it's a two-liner, not worth the effort to type.

The best of times, the worst of times. Up and down like a see-saw. Glorious sunshine, torrential rain; markets haemorrhaging, markets climbing.

The premier of BC, Other Gordon, is giving us an income tax reduction. The NDP criticised him for not cutting the carbon tax. The carbon tax is 2 cents on a litre of petrol. So it is paid by those who use more. The reduction in income tax is 3 cents per dollar for every dollar over the threshold at which income becomes taxable. Thus benefiting everyone who earns.

I have curtains now in at two of the windows where they are needed. The rooms feel complete, especially with the drawing in of days, draw the curtains, shut it all out.
But having the two sets intensifies the need for others.
Soon, very soon.

More misogyny. Zoe Williams, writing about The Madonna - Ritchie split, just gets acid spattered in woman-hating spleen from the commentators.
I thought the split was well-handled, low-key, unspectacular. I hope they'll both be happier.
Feminists, it seems, hate Sarah Palin. I think Feminists hate misogyny myself - just a thought.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Madonna/Ritchie split is getting nasty, with both ofthem throwing dirt.
I've always disliked Madonna - she's a brilliant businesswoman of course but a mediocre singer. She seems (if this is even possible) vastly more self-absorbed than other celebrities and what up with the faux British accent?
- Karen

Kateryna said...

Why does Canadian television seem so much better than in the U.S.?

I doubt it's a case of the 'grass is greener.'

Schneewittchen said...

I think that both British and Canadian TV focuses more on the way people really are, whereas mainstream US TV focuses on what they think people could aspire to.