Wednesday 29 October 2008

Sentience

Reading the headlines quickly I thought Madonna was going to be manager of the Argentinian footer team, seemed believable that she'd get Argentina in the divorce settlement.

Walking home through the Park, I saw a big Northwestern Garter Snake on the trail. It didn't slither off straight away, but before I could find my camera it had gone. I'm thinking that'll be the last one of the year.

The snakes in my office - I try not to anthropomorphise them. But I feed them and change their foliage, I control their environment.
I try to imagine what it would be like to be a creature with only limited ability to perceive or feel things, limited memory span, in short, limited sentience. I have a hard time with them being in captivity, but then I need them to teach kids about snakes, to become less afraid, less inclined to kill without thinking.

Who controls our environment? Are we in captivity? Are we barely sentient by the standards of others?

I was perturbed to read of this whole fiasco with Jonathan Ross and Russell Brand. Brand I couldn't care less for, but Ross, Wossy, should have known better. Why only the other day he was in the kitchen with Gordon Ramsey in the F-Word (not sure why Ramsey would have a show about feminism but whatever.)

Good TV news for us exiles is that the second series of Gavin and Stacey is finally airing on BBC Canada, superb.
And in Little Britain USA, the lads, however watered down, are still breaking ground. The new naked male bodysuits, complete with erectable micro-penises, are brilliant and balances Bubbles de Vere.

3 comments:

Sleepy said...

I'm the opposite.
I'd rather keep Brand, I've never liked Ross.
Wanker!

Schneewittchen said...

Hmm...well, they've both been wankers in this, but I must admit, at least Brand has been honourable over resigning.

Sleepy said...

Exactly. Way more respect for Brand.
A twelve week suspension for Ross?
Piss poor.